If you down/up load large files with your WHS 2011 box then you will find that the remote access interface will time out after 30 minutes. You can correct this by increasing the time-out parameter in the Windows Home Server web.config file.
To increase the Remote Access time:
1. Use mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your WHS 2011 server.
Caution: Be careful when using a Remote Desktop Connection to your home server. You can damage Windows Home Server functionality if you use Remote Desktop incorrectly.
2. Use a text editor, such as notepad.exe, to open C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\web.config
3. Locate the following line: <sessionState mode="InProc" cookieless="false" timeout="30"/>
4. Replace "30" (which represents 30 minutes) with a larger number, to allow your uploads to finish.
5. Save your change, close the file, and then log off from your Remote Desktop Connection session.
6. Use Remote Access to upload your file or files, to ensure that the new time-out parameter is sufficient to finish the upload.
Important: If you increase the time-out parameter, you increase your security risk. Do not leave a computer that has an active session unattended in a public place.
Share this WHS Article with Others: