Windows Home Server works great with Windows 8

Its great news to hear that Windows Home Server both v1 and the 2011 version both support Windows 8 just fine.

windows_8_logo

If you have tried Windows 8 with Home Server, what have been your experiences backing up Windows 8 to your Windows Home Server?

Share this WHS Article with Others:

| |

Comments (26)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. diehard says:

I think there might be an issue with the user accounts and permissions to shared folders. Windows 8 allows you to use your Windows Live account ID. If your Windows Live account does not meet the WHS password complexity then you will have issues accessing your shares.

You would be able to access the shares if the shares access are set to guest and read/write.

You can still do PC backups/restore.

2. Barry says:

Sorry, but Windows 8 does not work well with Windows Home Server 2011. During the BUILD conference launching Windows 8, a big emphasis was placed upon how great Windows 8 was with UEFI boot – and it is (incidentally, so is Windows 7).
    However, Windows Home Server will not backup and restore a client that boots using UEFI. Until we get a WHS2011 Service Pack or patch that fixes this, it is not fair to say it “works great”

3. lt says:

I have the HP Ex-490 (HomeServer v1) nd are generally really appy With it. Lately I have installed several Win8s; a couple on VHD, and 2 on-the-iron installations – none of them are able to Complete WHS-backup. Error Messages are always: “An error occurred Reading or writing from Your computer’s hard drive. C:”
    So, as far as my experience goes, Win8 does not work well With Home Server (v1)

• lt says:

I reinstalled my HomeServer this weekend because of a faulty main (OS) disk (not recommended for the faint of heart).
      To my surprise Windows 8 backups started working after rejoining with the new Server!

So I have to scrap my previous notice – Now Windows 8 works just as well as Windows 7 with Home Server v1

I am appy again :-)

• Boggy says:

Have you tried to to recover the windows 8 clients by any chance? If you did, where you successful? I personally backed up and recover Vista Windows 7 (64) XP on WHS v1. Works great, but one needs to have 32 bit drivers for recovery (WHS is the 32 bit OS).

4. Fuzzy John says:

I installed the WHS v1 console on an older Gateway M275 tablet running Windows 8 Developer Preview. The console installed without any issues and I have access to all shares.
    However I cannot open any backups. They fail at 81% and say that the virtual disk Z: is not formatted.
    I haven’t tried to run a backup yet.

5. odrasil says:

I used to have Windows 8 Developer Preview and WHS v1 was working fine. Today upgrade/clean install Consumer Preview and can’t install the WHS connector…. any ideas?

6. odrasil have you tried the steps here:
    Although they are for WHS 2011, they may also work with v1.

• odrasil says:

That solution is for WHS 2011 not v1. On the other hand after installing Windows 8 Release Preview, the connector worked as usual.

Thanks

7. [...] do not have a spare physical machine for testing though and I have read that WHS does not support restoring to a machine that boots with [...]

8. Tony says:

I managed to install the connector on Windows 8 with a registry fix but backups to WHS2011 keep failing …

• Miguel says:

Odd, i had no issues installing the connector at all (Win-8 x64), also backups work fine, everything does.

Though i have not tried a full Client bare-metal restore yet.

9. John says:

When backing up Windows 8 to WHS 2011 I get the following error: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Clicked on Event Log Online Help, Page was not found.

• Mike Bray says:

I have had the same problem and I believe it is to do with the lack of support for GPT partitions. I have had to end up backing up my Windows 8 client separately but to a folder on my server.

• John Yerganian says:

Mike you are correct! As a last resort I contacted Microsoft and the issue is with the GPT disk. If you buy a windows 8 machine from a manufacturer, some of them are making units with a GPT disk. You can find supporting documentation form Microsoft 25% down the page under the bullet of Backup and Restore http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/release-notes-2.aspx

• Jamz says:

One way around this is to go to your WHS and update the Windows 8 computer to only backup C: drive.

I’ve succesfully backed up my Windows Surface Pro after unselecting the two hidden partions used to restore Win8.

I’ll probably not be able to restore from WHS but I figured I would use the built in Win8 Restore method from the GPT disk and then copy back any missing files.

10. Henry says:

I have the exact same problem. My primary reason for installing WHS was to backup all of my machines and stay on top of my wife and 4 kids machines easily. With everyone running Win7 it worked great. However, when I upgraded my slate I started receiving the same error as John and an very disappointed. I hope MS releases a service pack to fix this issue soon.

11. Keith says:

I have just put a new Windows 8 Pro Pc on my network. I have installed the Windows Server Console and have access to shared folders. But cannot back up the Pc. I am running v1 Power Pack 3.

My Error message is “Failure Details for Volume(local Disk):
    “The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup”

Anyone have any ideas???? Thanks…

12. Dogcatcher says:

I use the original WHS, running on Server 2003.

After doing a local login to Win8 Pro with Media Center,
    I installed the WHS x64 connector from the server. It went in the same way it always does.

I then started a manual backup. I say “started” because after starting it just sat there. No error and no activity. So I stopped the backup and re-configured the server to backup only partitions with drive letters assigned. After making that change, everything proceeded as it should and all files were backed up.

The lesson here, I believe, is that WHS is still useful for daily backups, especially of partitions containing data.

However, because WHS is not GPT-aware and will not backup hidden partitions or FAT-32 partitions, WHS is not a complete recovery solution. Use other tools to create recovery images of the partitions WHS cannot see.

Among the tools that work for me are Clonezilla (run from Parted Magic on a USB drive) and Macrium Reflect 5.1.

• Mike Bray says:

The strategy I have had to adopt is to use Windows 8 System Backup/restore to an external disk and the Windows 7 Backup (under control panel) to backup my data files to a folder on my Home Server. This runs automatically.

13. Nate says:

After I upgraded to windows 8 I could not access any of my homeserver shares.

14. Ray says:

Have to say that I am having the same problem, no backup for my windows 8 PC, although it has connected OK. Very disappointing.

15. Raf says:

The problem persists. I could connect to WHS and have access to the shared folders. The back-up does not work however. Any solutions ?

16. Florisz says:

Backup of my Asus Taichi 31 with windows 8(64bit) to my WHS v1(latest updates) worked flawless from the beginning.(automatic every day over wifi)
    I had to send my Asus in because of a WIFI failure and had to wipe it to factory default. I have my Asus back now, and will try to recover it. First challenge is creating an USB recovery ‘CD’.(get the cd to a USB stick, because no CD drive present anymore). The asus does not have a real UTP port.(but an usb connector with an UTP connector). Hopefully I can find an 32driver that works….